Moving While Staying Still

Phoebe Xu, Online Editor

During this time of self-quarantining and lockdown, many of us might not know what to do with all the extra time we have. One good way to spend your time is to find a way to do some sort of physical activity for at least 30 minutes every day. 

“It’s actually really easy to get in a good workout at home,” Junior Allison Santa-Cruz said. “Running in your neighborhood is an easy way to get outside and also get some physical activity in. There are also tons of exercises you can do without equipment, such as push-ups or pull-ups.”

If you don’t like running around the neighborhood or find that running is hard, there are many other alternatives like biking. 

“I am finding a way to exercise every day,” Senior Jack Brown said. “I usually Peloton 45-60 minutes which is around 15 miles per day. I also ride my bike while walking my dog which is another activity I like to do to get some exercise.”

Marathon runner and SA teacher Krissy Rehm also using a combination of biking and running in her workouts. 

“Personally, I have a Peloton and a treadmill in my house,” Rehm said. “I use the Peloton app for cycling workouts and I track my running miles using Strava. I like running because it’s simple – doesn’t require an app.” 

However, if you do need some encouragement while running or working out, there are a ton of guided workout apps. 

“There are plenty of apps that offer good exercises,” Santa-Cruz said. “Nike Training Club is a good one, but I primarily use YouTube. You can type any workout into YouTube, and they’ll have it- and it’s completely free. Most exercises require no equipment and you can do it in a pretty confined space. I do most of mine in my room.”

A couple of great apps to use are Nike Training Club, Nike Run Club, and Peloton. NTC, NRC, and Peloton all have made premium free for the next couple of weeks to encourage people to workout more. Their workouts vary from running outside, running instead on a treadmill, biking, High-Intensity Interval Training, Functional Training, Abs, Yoga, Upper Body, and so much more. There is something for everyone on these apps. 

Because almost every gym has closed, people don’t know what to do. However, many gyms are still finding a way to give their members a workout. A bonus is that they make their workouts free to the public.

Barry’s Bootcamp was founded in 1998 in West Hollywood, and since then, there are studios all over the world. Their workouts are designed to kick your butt and burn 1000+ Calories in 50-60 minutes. But since their gyms are now closed, they are having daily workouts on Instagram Live where anyone can watch and join the workout. They have workouts 2-3 times a day with their really experienced trainers. You don’t even need any equipment for some of the workouts. 

Dogpound is also an exclusive personal training gym based in New York City and Los Angeles. With rates starting at $200 an hour, being able to workout with these trainers is very rare. However, from the quarantine, they have had to shut down. Currently, they have multiple workouts a day on Instagram Live where you can train with the very best with little to no equipment. 

Finding some time out of your day to exercise is so beneficial to living a healthy life. Try to find some time to do a quick yoga class on the NTC or a HIIT run on the Peloton App. There are also many workouts on MySA that all students can access under the Resource page. There are so many choices that you can pick from, so why not try it?