An Inside Look at SA Golf

Back to Article
Back to Article

An Inside Look at SA Golf

Caroline Croft, Staff Writer

“We need to practice harder and push each other to be our very best in order to be successful,” Senior Will Atkins said. “We need to set solid goals for ourselves and focus on fine tuning our skills.”
This is one of the many goals of the St. Andrew’s boys’ golf team. The golf team is led by seniors Price Bryan, Will Atkins, and Henry Hawkins. Because golf is more of an individual sport, each player must be motivated to improve his own individual game in order to improve the team.
The golf team is led by Head Coach Colin Dunnigan and Assistant Coach Walker Barrett. Dunnigan and Barrett are setting goals for the upcoming season such as playing better with wedges, the short game in golf, driving the ball in fairway, as well as keeping the right mindset by maintaining focus for the five-hour-long matches.
“We have to play district first and do well there to get to state,” Dunnigan said. “Last year, our team was fourth at state and we have a lot of guys back from that team and they’re a year older and if we can shoot what the goals are for each of those players, then we will challenge for a state championship.”
Senior Price Bryan, who has signed with Birmingham Southern for golf, also has goals and aspirations for the future of the golf team, even after he graduates.
“Consistency in our ball striking has to improve, and we have to be better mentally in order to be successful,” Bryan said. “In some tournaments, our emotions have gotten the better of us and that has led to higher scores. Golf is hard enough as is and a bad attitude only makes it more difficult, so we have to do a better job controlling our emotions.”
Members of the golf team must be truly dedicated to practicing for tournaments. Because St. Andrew’s does not have a golf course on campus, team members have to drive to practice four times a week to either Lake Caroline, Whisper Lake, or Deerfield Golf Clubs. This extra step that golf members have to take is just one example of how they are willing to put in the extra effort and dedication for their sport.
The boy’s golf team is relatively young and includes freshman and middle schoolers. However, some younger player, specifically Connor Dunnigan, have no problem stepping up and being a leader.
“Connor Dunnigan is only an eighth grader but he is one of our team leaders,” Bryan said. “He does a fantastic job of leading by example for our team. He’s a great player that is vocal in all of our practices and meetings, and he pushes all of us to improve.”
The golf team hopes to continue their streak by winning their ninth district championship in a row this year. They also hope to win their first state championship in thirty-four years. With prominent leadership and skill seen in both the older and the younger team members, the golf team’s future is promising. Good luck, Boys’ Golf!