Uniforms VS. THE DRESS CODE: WHAT IS THE BETTER EVIL?

Chloe Ward, Junior Staff Writer

It was a cool Monday morning at St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, when a student was frantically walking through the library. He woke up late that morning, and in his haste, decided to throw on some joggers and the first shirt he found to save time. Nonetheless, when he entered his first class of the day, he was given two dress code infractions and was sent to the office in shame.

For many students experiencing it, the SA dress code has been notorious for controversy in the past few years. It is constantly being changed and reviewed, and a board was created last year in order to make it more equitable. However, some students feel as if the dress code is not yet truly equal for everyone.

Sophomore Rece Raju has been at St. Andrew’s since she was 3-years-old and expressed her feelings about the dress code.

“The rules for the girls are really hard,” Raju said. “Like the fingertip rule. Some girls have really long arms and so it’s harder for them and if they go by fingertip length it’s not as fair for them.”

“I just feel like if we’re wearing a long shirt with leggings and our butt is covered then [leggings] should be allowed,” Sophomore Devan Berry said.

Though the dress code is far from perfect, current dress code standards are wildly different from how they were when the high school first opened.

“Originally the dress code was a blazer and a pair of slacks and jumpers for the girls,” Head of the Upper School Julia Chadwick said. “When the high school came about, they continued that, and at some point in time for the high school, it was khaki pants for boys and golf shirts. Then we eventually got rid of that and had free dress and variations of free dress throughout the years.”

An alternative to constantly debating and changing the dress code would to convert to uniforms, which are worn in both the Lower School and Middle School. Although most people seem to have at least one issue with the current dress code, putting uniforms in the Upper School is a hectic and polarizing debate. Raju has been able to wear both uniforms and regular clothes during her time at St. Andrew’s and sees no benefit to wearing them in high school.

“I didn’t like uniforms but it made it easier,” Raju said. “But [uniforms] are what separates high school and middle school and the freedom you have in high school separates it. In high school when you’re able to wear your own clothes it makes you your own person.”

Berry transferred from Copiah County two years ago, where she’s never worn a uniform.

“[Uniforms are] easier and you don’t have to wake up and choose your outfit,” Berry said. “That takes so much time out of my morning and I could be doing other things.”

Though uniforms are a convenient equalizer between students, not having them in the high school differentiates St. Andrew’s from other private institutions in the Jackson area; however, the administration is open to changes.

“Faculty periodically look at [the dress code] and readjust and I know I have a proposal now for some changes,” said Chadwick. “They were waiting to bring me the rest of the petitions.”

So for those wanting some change you don’t need to look far. Making petitions and getting yourself and your student council representatives involved is a surefire way to bring some change and to use your voice to better the learning environment at the school.