SOCCER STANDOUTS

Sarah Sullivan, Junior Staff Writer

The team finishes warming up, and knowing she won’t play in the first half she is taking off her goalie gloves; she is just an eighth grader and the starting goalie is a junior. This is the biggest game of the year, St Joe. These high school girls plan their whole year around this game. The team huddles up, and the coach puts the cones out and says her name; she is going in the goal first. Her palms instantly start dripping in sweat; she is so nervous. Every move she makes is made with care because she is afraid to make a mistake and ruin the game.

Imagine being in that situation but playing a whole new position for the first time in your life and starting on varsity. That’s the case for Gigi Fraser, the 8th grader who took on one of the most critical positions on the field, as a middle schooler. Fraser had always played forward, but then during the preseason, the coaching staff changed her to defense. She feels the pressure she has being with older experienced players.

“If you mess up it’s different than a high schooler messing up; they will forgive them more than they will forgive you,” Fraser said.

As one of the only middle school players, Fraser was put in a position that was brand new, but Fraser took control over the defense and excelled in the position.

“You wouldn’t know she was a middle schooler if she didn’t tell you,” Coach Corissa Newburger said.

Fraser fit it with any other girl on the team and became a crucial player in the girls’ soccer success, as they made it to the state championship. The girls’ team made it to state where Fraser started. Fraser also feels how the soccer team made her feel like an equal, and her teammates didn’t see her as a middle schooler. Fraser also had another middle schooler on the field with her Kira Leflore. Leflore has started since her 7thgrade year, and she also said that this season the team has been more of a family.

“I just have to work harder to stay on the field because there are a lot of high schoolers who play my position that want it,” Leflore said. “It takes a lot more from me to keep playing.”

Leflore also explains how she has a lot of support from the team and how they also don’t see her as a middle schooler: just as another player.

“I feel like the high schoolers all support me in games and in practice, and the coaches do too,” Leflore said.

Being a Middle schooler on a varsity team is scary, but Leflore and Fraser show that’s it not impossible. The leadership is what makes these players so comfortable on this team, and makes them feel like they are equal to every other high school girl.

1 Comment

One Response to “SOCCER STANDOUTS”

1. John Sullivan on March 20th, 2019 10:49 am

This is a fantastic article, written by a fantastic junior staff writer!!
    Way to go Sarah Elizabeth!!