ROUGH REFEREES

Did Referees Ruin the Superbowl Before Kickoff?

Back to Article
Back to Article

ROUGH REFEREES

Miley Ray, Sports Editor

What’s black, white, and totally blind? Apparently the referees at the NFC championship! After a pass interference no-call during a crucial moment in the NFC championship between the Rams and the Saints, Saints fans who attended the game were heartbroken and felt the referees were to blame.

“Everyone in the stadium knew that the call was bad; it was so blatantly obvious,” Senior Henry Hawkins, who attended the game, said. “The stadium erupted in boos and towels were thrown onto the field. It was by far the worst call I’ve ever seen.”

It is hard to say confidently that one officiating decision can determine a game, but with a tied score, 1:49 on the clock, and being 13-yards away from scoring, a different light is shed on the call. Adding on to the significance of this call is the fact that the Superbowl was at stake.  

“I normally would say one call does not determine a game, but in this situation, that one call determined whether the Saints could have kicked a field goal and won the game,” Senior Football Player AJ Leflore said.

The Rams worked hard in the game with an impressive 57-yard field goal in overtime to secure the win, and they also suffered from a facemask no-call, but in sports, timing is everything.

“I do believe that a call could change a game because usually early in a game you have the opportunity to overcome a bad call, but unfortunately late in the game, it’s difficult to come back so a bad call could change everything,” St. Andrew’s Football Coach Johnny Nicholas said.

Just as the Olympics bring a divided world together, the Superbowl unites Americans across state lines. This unity is shown by the emotional connections of high school students in Mississippi connecting to a football game taking place in a totally different state.

“I think all NFL officials should take up the New Orleans offer for the eye exam,” Senior and New Orleans Saints Fan Margaret Branson said.

The Superbowl is one of many major athletic competitions that have wider effects than the average sporting event. The Saints have a history of uplifting the New Orleans’ community in trying times, so it is not surprising that the community was shaken by the loss.

“The rubble left behind by Katrina helped provide grist for the Saints’ own revival, which culminated in a first-ever Super Bowl win more than four years later, when the team defeated the Indianapolis Colts,” CNBC Sports Author John Fanta said.