TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2018

Will Davis, Lifestyle Editor

Throughout the year, there have been several great albums that have been released and has been one of the most diverse and influential years in music, but only a few can be considered the best. Hip-Hop/R&B dominated the charts this year, filling up almost every spot on this list with new styles and coming in and returning back to style from previous years. In this list, you will see my thoughts on the best albums in 2018.

Kids See Ghosts – Kanye West & Kid Cudi

While this album might not have been nominated for any Grammy awards, I thought this was the best album released in 2018. In recent years, Kanye West and Kid Cudi have struggled with depression and other mental illnesses, which they rap about overcoming with some of the most experimental production hip-hop has seen in years. Over just seven songs, West and Cudi show off their excellent chemistry and relate their struggles to each other and show how to overcome them. “The simple yet meaningful lyrics by West and Cudi show their chemistry and it’s definitely a top three album of the year,” Sophomore Brett Ashy said.

Astroworld – Travis Scott

Travis Scott’s Astroworld is the definition of paying attention to detail in music. From features, to production, to rhymes, there was no part of this record that seemed effortless. “What it took Kanye West five albums to do, his protege accomplished in 17 songs,” according to the Top 50 Albums of 2018 by Rolling Stone. Scott does it all on this album, from bringing in some of his most aggressive cadences, to his most psychedelic songs he’s ever made. The major hit, “Sicko Mode” featuring Drake and Swae Lee was the highlight of the album for many, amassing over 500 million streams on Spotify alone. Astroworld was regarded by many as the rap album of the year, receiving a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Album.

TA13OO – Denzel Curry

Denzel Curry’s TA13OO is nothing short of impressive lyricism and experimental production. Curry is one of the leaders of the new generation of rap and is easily one of the most mature artists in his genre, considering his age at only 23 years old. An impressive part about this album is how Curry can carry the whole project together with very few. Listen to this album if you’re looking for a sound you will not find anywhere else in modern hip-hop.

Sweetener – Ariana Grande

Produced and co-written by Pharrell Williams, this was definitely the surprise of the year. Through the trap-influenced production and cadences, to the new-found voice of Grande, this album defines her growth as an artist. “Sweetener is an album for any mood you have whether you’re feeling down or trying to get hyped,” Senior Zahra Naveed said. Singles like “No Tears Left to Cry” and “God is a Woman” guaranteed overall success of the album, both peaking in the top ten on the Billboard 200.

Twin Fantasy – Car Seat Headrest

Will Toledo’s band Car Seat Headrest is no stranger to the alternative rock scene, with their first album from 2010. Their most recent album, Twin Fantasy (Face to Face) is actually a rerecording of their album Twin Fantasy originally released in 2011. The narration on this is dark, inspired by a past relationship of Toledo’s. Most lines were originally written when Toledo was 19. “The story he tells is not about what happens, but what almost happens, and what he wants to happen, what he wishes didn’t happen,” Pitchfork Contributor Mark Richardson writes.