ST. ANDREW’S GONE GLOBAL

Phoebe Xu, Travel Section Editor

In the upcoming days, three groups of students and teachers will travel to three different continents: Europe, South America, and Asia. Being so far from home, students have to prepare for this new adventure and experience in a whole different world.

“I am looking forward to going out of the country for the first time,” Junior Jack Brown said. “I chose the Italy trip because I am interested in its history and exploring its culture. I have learned about Italian history in my history classes, so I am excited to actually visit these historic places.”

From Nov. 10-24, Latin Teachers Thomas Riesenberger, Grace Self, Megan Whitacre, and Math Teacher David Bramlett will be joining Brown. They will visit many historical sites including Pompeii and cities like Florence and Rome.

The Peru trip will also be from the 10-24 where Nancy Rivas, Marks McWhorter, and Przemek Tokarski and the group will visit Arequipa, where partner school Lord Byron is Cusco, and Machu Picchu, one of the seven wonders of the world.

Students are not only able to see beautiful sites, but they will also stay with host families, which is always a great learning experience because of the assimilation of languages.

“I am most looking forward to meeting my host student and hopefully making a new lifelong friend,” Junior Keller Sharp said.

The India Trip will take place from Nov. 11th through 24th where Father Kirk LaFon and  Freshmen Biology Teacher Kristan LaFon will be chaperoning. They will be going to Hyderabad, Jaipur, Agra, and another wonder of the world, the Taj Mahal. While going to a new country will be a great experience, students will have to prepare for them very meticulously.

“We have been reading about India and Indian culture,” LaFon said.“There are certain things that are disrespectful that we want to try and avoid doing (don’t offer your left hand to shake hands). We are visitors in their country, so we want to be respectful. Our awesome group of students has been diligently meeting to prepare for the trip.”

Not only are students preparing by studying culture, but they are also preparing by gathering all of the essentials needed for the trips.

“To prepare for the trip, I have tried to find clothes that would most respect Indian tradition like longer dresses and looser pants,” Senior Maggie Meeks said.

These trips have been very successful in the past, and this year’s students hope to have a fun learning experience while being in a completely different country.