Homecoming Havoc: Fashion Edition

Victoria Wang, Staff Writer

The coming of fall is associated with many highly anticipated seasonal favorites: cooler weather, changing leaves, and especially homecoming! While everyone eagerly counts down the days until the dance, every girl knows the struggle and the frenzy that is finding the perfect dress. If every year you scroll past thousands of dresses to find the perfect one, but to no avail, keep reading to find inspiration from homecoming 2018!  

At the homecoming dance this past Saturday, many different dresses were to be seen, ranging from sequined rompers to sleek, simple dresses. However, what seemed to be most popular were the dresses with a bodycon silhouette or an interesting neckline, like strapless dresses or dresses with the neckline as the main feature.

“I [wore] a red cocktail dress without embroidery, just plain red that has a cut in the front,” Junior Mary Elizabeth Needham said.

Dresses without embellishments but have a small piece of flair have also seen an increase in popularity.

“Right now, we are seeing anything that has a cutout, whether it be on the side or the front, is becoming more popular for homecoming dances,” DSquared store manager Sheri Spooner said.

While most people decide to dress-shop online, the rest prefer to shop in-store, so they can try on the dresses and not have to experience the hassle that is returning to an online boutique. Stores recommended for dress shopping are Hemline, DSquared, and Windsor, which are all locally found around the Jackson/Ridgeland area.

“[Hemline] has a really large selection of dresses,” Needham said. “It can be really expensive, but I found my dress in the sale section.”

But for people who like to shop online and pick a few dresses, and return the rest later, online stores such as Revolve or Tobi see an influx in online orders around this time.

“I love Revolve, it has quick shipping and affordable prices,” Senior Maggie Meeks said.