Open Your Mind To Anime

Elizabeth Panter, Staff Writer

In late September of junior year, most high schoolers would be dancing at Homecoming. However, I was not one of those students. After a dinner and movie with another friend who chose not to attend the dance, you know what I did? I streamed the entire (and only) season of Yuuri!!! On Ice, one of the most popular and recent animes, that weekend. All 12 episodes I gobbled up and left me wanting more. Yuuri!!! On Ice isn’t the only anime I watched but was my first sports anime and as I began branching out to more animes, I discovered just how many non-Japanese people watched this incredible media.
Anime is one of Japan’s most popular industries and is so well-received people across the world have taken notice and quickly emerged themselves in it. With so many genres, and many shows also having a manga that is it based of, western countries have taken a step toward it.
“This increase in Western consumption of anime is due in large part to the increased accessibility of anime,” Ehenneden Idehen-Amadasun from an Odyssey article said.
Streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll, a streaming site almost entirely for anime, gives viewers from across the world a chance to explore this unique type of television.
Yet despite all the positivity about anime, some people are still put off. Perhaps the animation makes it appear childish to American viewers? Funnily enough, Japanese adults do not deal with this problem.
“In Japan and in Europe, comics and animation has always been geared to adults,” SA Math Teacher David Bramlett said.
Anime is welcoming to all age groups, as it is arranged by age groups as well as genres, having content for all ages. Yuuri!!! On Ice, my first sports anime, is about the sport of ice skating. The protagonist an underdog named Yuuri Katsuki and is beloved by teenagers and adults. While it is in no means hentai*, there are a few moments where it is PG-13. Haikyuu!! is very well received and a fellow sports anime, though about volleyball instead of ice-skating, is much friendlier for children with the main characters being high schoolers as opposed to adults. At first glance these two shows seem shallow and just about athletes, they go into deep detail with character developments and intricate plot lines that keep viewers wanting more. Both these series teach viewers about their respective sports but also about not giving up on dreams, making these valuable and relatable stories.
TV shows are not the only animation popular in Japan. Studio Ghibli movies are very well-known throughout the world. Bramlett found these movies helpful in learning a new perspective.
“The director, Hayao Miyazaki, captures many aspects of the Japanese culture and it was a way for me to get a better understanding of my [Japanese] wife’s viewpoint on the world,” Bramlett said. “Miyazaki also always has a deeper message ingrained in his films that are happening in the real world such has mankind’s misuse of the planet.”

If you ever have the chance, research your favorite genres and try out an anime or movie. Don’t let the animation scare you off as it’s merely a different form of content and does not determine how mature or old viewers need to be in order to enjoy the media. No matter what style and genre you like, there is almost guaranteed to be an anime for you.

*extremely sexual anime