Saints Make History Again Winning Girls Track State Championship

Nolan Turner, Sports Staff Writer

SA Athletics continues to strive this year, adding to their state championships this past weekend when the girls track squad took home the state trophy for the second time in the past four years. The SA boys track team also competed well, as several individuals won their events.

The girls set the tone from the start, as they took the first event of the day, when Elizabeth Scott, Olivia Huckabay, Olivia Campbell, and Olivia Mitchell won the girls’ 4 x 800m relay. From there on, the girls placed first in six different track and field competitions and had 11 top three finishes on the day, dominating the state meet.

“Winning that first race was a big boost to everyone’s confidence,” Sophomore Olivia Mitchell said. “We were able to carry that momentum from our first race and keep it going throughout the day.”

For veterans on the team, this was not their first time atop the leaderboards yet those who have won two during their tenure at St. Andrew’s will tell you this was the most gratifying win of their career.

“Winning two state championships in my time is special to me, but winning this championship my senior year is certainly most gratifying,” Senior track captain Elizabeth Scott said. “Winning in my final high school season is something I will never forget and being able to be the captain this year has been an honor.”

The boys’ track team also performed well as while they did not capture the title, they did manage some individual wins. Freshman Reed Finseth took home the first place trophy in pole vaulting while Junior Luis Flores placed first in the 3200m race and second in both the 1600m and 800m.

“While it is disappointing that we did not get to our goal of the state title, it was still a successful and fun season,” Junior Luis Flores said. “This was probably the most fun track season I have had thus far and while we do a few seniors, this is a fairly young team that will be back to win it all next year.”

The Saints’ athletics program has strived this year as they have made history winning state championships in basketball, girls’ track and field, tennis, both girls’ and boys’ cross country and have a baseball team one round away from the state championship. If the SA baseball team is able to take home a trophy, a new precedent would be set as there have never been more than five state championships in one academic school year.