The Class of 2018 Makes an Impact on SA Sports

Julia Farley Collins, Overall Editor

In previous years, SA sports were decently good. At least two sports would win the state championship and two other sports would make it as far as the south state championship. However, the Class of 2018 has changed the norm.

This year, at least two teams made it to the State Championship Semifinals so far and seven teams have made it to the State Championship or are predicted to make it that far. This is a significant difference from the year before. In March, the SA Basketball team won their first 3A State Championship in school history. This team was led by seniors Garrison Wade, Nolan Turner, Fletcher Clark, and Hughes Boling. Wade plans on continuing his basketball career at Dartmouth College.

“It is evident in the amount of athletes we have playing at the next level and our success on the field or court,” Wade said. “We worked hard to get as far as we did.”

This past weekend, the SA Girls Track team won the 2018 3A State Championship. The last time they have won a state championship was in 2015, when Yesenia Davis, who went on to run track at Loyola University, was a senior.

“Elizabeth Scott and Olivia Campbell were the senior girls on the track team this year,” Sophomore Phoebe Xu said. “They have worked hard for the past two years to get to this point, leading the distance team along the way. Elizabeth competed in three events total, two of which were individual events, and the third event was a relay event which Olivia Campbell also participated in.”

The success of the girls track team was highly dependent on the leadership by these outstanding seniors.

However, the track team is not the only team competing for a championship. The SA Tennis team also won a state title Oxford, MS. After breaking the 14 year state championship streak last year, the team plans to bounce back this season with Senior Larry Qu playing again. Qu did not play on the team last season and it was difficult for the team to go on without him.

“Larry brought team spirit back onto the team which led us to the State Championship,” Freshman Betsy Van Meter said.

This coming week, the SA Baseball team will play in the South State Championship against Seminary High School. The last time that the baseball team made it to the state championship was in 2016. Last year, the team lost to Seminary in the third round of playoffs. Seniors Banks Tolley, Sam Roffwarg, Evan Bowman, Dickson Ray, Cameron Daniels, and CJ Carron make a large contribution to the overall success of the team. With a strong group of seniors leading this team, the saints plan on a successful end to the season.