Tennis State Champions!

Olivia Huckabay

On May 6, the St. Andrew’s tennis team travelled to Oxford, MS to compete in their state tennis tournament, which they won to give St. Andrew’s their second state championship in less than four days. In the team event, SA competed against South Pontotoc and won 6-1 with four different matches going into a third set tie break. The next day, May 7, the players competed in multiple different individual tournaments. Freshman Andrew Ditto won first place in boys single; Eight-grader McKenna Wheatley won first in girls’ singles; Senior Larry and Eighth- grader Stanley Qu won first in boys’ doubles; Freshmen Reed Hooks and Vitor Da Silva won second in boys’ doubles; and Sophomore Hayes Waycaster and Junior Anna Case won first in mixed doubles. Wheatley, not yet in high school, only dropped one game the whole time she was in Oxford. Waycaster was one of the first to announce the tennis victory and even carried around his medals the day after the team won.

“I was extremely happy when we won because my match went into three different tie breakers, and both teams were watching our match,” Waycaster said. “After Anna and I won, we were both really happy because we were able to come back after losing the first set, and we don’t even know how we pulled that off. It was a big difference from the disappoint of last year to this year.”

Case had a large contribution to the state championship.

“I felt relieved after winning,” Case said. “The team worked really hard despite the score (6-1) making it look like an easy win; I know every player had to practice and give their all when state came around.”

The Saints’ tennis team is very young, and there are about five freshman that played at the state championship.

“I thought that the team was very talented but young,” Ditto said. “I think that the team found a way to play together, and we were able to win because of this.”

The Saints’ tennis team played a terrific season and because of this year’s win, they have won fifteen championships, almost consecutively.