This Little Light of Mine

Miley Ray, Staff Writer

With graduation just around the corner the graduating senior’s lights are shining, and it is time for the passing of the light ceremony from seniors to juniors at the junior senior chapel. This chapel is one of the most special chapels of the year because it is the first of many goodbyes for the class of 2018.

“My favorite part about the junior senior chapel is when it gets really quiet in the CPA as the passing of the light is happening and everyone is peacefully watching,” Sophomore Grace Mcintire said.

The graduating seniors see this chapel as an opportunity to act as mentors for the rising seniors.

“I’m excited I get to pass my light on to somebody else and I get to see all the juniors lined up with their candles and I get to wish them good luck on their last years at St. Andrew’s,” Senior Brooks Lacoste said.

Juniors look forward to this service because the anticipation has built over the past two years watching the service as freshmen and sophomores.

“I’m excited to be handed a candle during the chapel service by seniors,” Junior Hess Booth said.

This service might be known for the passing of the light, but the speeches given by one boy and one girl from the senior class are equally as memorable. Isabel May and John Spencer both did great jobs with their speeches.

“I like the candle lighting but I really love the student talks. I get to work with them in putting their speeches together, and Sam Brown’s speech was one of my favorites because he was so honest and real.” Upper School Chaplain Father Kirk said.

The junior senior led chapel lets the seniors say a peaceful goodbye before the stress of AP exams, the chaos of graduation, summer jobs, and college anxiety hits.