The Road to the Championships

Ariel Cox, Student Life Editor

Making history is not something new to SA teams and this year is not much different. For the second time in school history, the boys’ basketball team is going to the “Big House”.

“It’s seral, and it’s the first time in history so it’s really exciting,” Senior Nolan Turner said.

With a 25-6 season, the boys have shown no mercy in making their way to the Colosseum. These games are crucial because now it win or go-home time. After beating North Panola 56-43 in the “Elite Eight”, they now head on to the “Final Four” to play Tylertown. St. Andrew’s is higher ranked in the state, but according to MaxPreps Tylertown averages 62 points per game while the Saints average 56 points per game.

On Wednesday, the entire school out early to go watch the boys play in the “Big House.” After being the team picked to lose, the Saints proved the doubters wrong by beating Tylertown 51-39. With six seconds left, Senior Garrison Wade ended the game with a slam dunk that made the crowd go crazy.

“It feels good [to be the first team in school history to play in the championships],” Senior Garrison Wade said. “It seems unreal at this point because it new but, we’re going to enjoy it one step at a time.”

After a long and difficult season, the boys will finish it off in the 3A- State Championship game against the Holly Spring Hawks. Holly Springs is ranked 20th in the state and has a season record of 20-9. The teams leading scorer is Senior number 12 DaQuan Smith, who averages 26.8 points per game out of the teams’ average of 66.5 points per game. In the championship game, the boys are going to have to work really hard to beat a team who has their prime scoring time in the fourth quarter.

This year has been a year of St. Andrew’s making their mark in the basketball world. Being a private school playing in MHSAA (Mississippi High School Athletic Association) it never easy and this year the boys have proved that we belong with everyone else in our league. Even when people don’t believe we can, SA students always prove we can and will “viam inveniam aut faciam” (find a way or make one). As the basketball season comes to an end, let’s see the boys make history at Colosseum in the 3A Basketball State Championship, as they hope to bring home the school’s first gold ball.