Baseball from the Senior Boys

Parker Grogan, Overall Editor

As the baseball team heads into their 2018 season, they are very confident. Two years ago, the group made it to the state championship; thus, this year’s seniors have a lot of weight on their shoulders to perform as well as other leaders have in years past. This group of seniors consists of six guys, who truly believe in their teammates.

So far, the team has an overall record of 5-0 and a district record of 1-0. Their opponents include Ridgeland High School, Terry High School, Pisgah High School, Canton Academy, and Crystal Springs High School. They beat Ridgeland 5-2, Terry 16-8, Pisgah 11-6, Canton 12-3, and Crystal Springs 16-0. Their next game is against Crystal Springs at Crystal Springs on March 7 at 4 p.m.

“We have an incredibly well balanced team this year,” Senior Sam Roffwarg said. “All of our starters are either juniors or seniors. We have a lot of depth at both offense and defense. We will definitely make it to the state championship this year.”

This group of seniors has been together since eighth grade, with Senior Banks Tolley completing the squad then. The seniors explain how their lives have been shaped by the friendships and team work that come with being a part of the SA baseball program.

“Without baseball, I would’ve never felt comfortable at this school,” Tolley said. “These teammates are my best friends without a doubt.”

They also recount their grandest memories from baseball in years past, which attributed to their ability to bond more than most teams.

“I definitely think the reason the baseball team is so close is the long practice times and the Spring Break beach trip,” Senior Evan Bowman said.

Hopefully, the seniors can live up to the expectations set for them and the standard they have set for themselves by making it to the state championship. Only time will tell, but, in the meantime, we wish good luck to the boys who make the spring season of sports so eventful and fun.