Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give

Olivia Huckabay

On February 27, 2018, author Angie Thomas stopped by the North Campus for an assembly about her book The Hate U Give. The book features the main character Starr who is greatly affected by the Blacks Lives Matter movement when her friend is fatally shot by an officer. Starr grew up in a neighborhood taken over by crime, although she goes to a private school filled with people that are much different than her. Many teachers and students at St. Andrew’s were huge fans of Angie Thomas and her book.

“I loved Angie Thomas before she came, and I’d read the book for English and instantly fell in love with it,” Sophomore Cymone West said. “I actually teared up when she walked in, and I got to sit next to her in class.”

The author made sure to keep her assembly very comedic and lighthearted despite the deep message of her young-adult book. She assured the students that this novel was different than other young-adult fiction such as Twilight because the message was so powerful and different.

“The assembly made me want to read her book because she seemed to have a very different background than me and many of the authors I normally read,” Junior Charley Blount said.

Thomas also inspired many to read her book by making her speech so relatable to teens with her references to Tupac, Jordan’s, and her rapping skills. The audience promised if she rapped on stage that they would buy her book, so she showed off her other talent besides writing.

“My favorite part of the assembly was when she talked about how rappers such as Tupac shaped her writing and helped her find her voice,” Blount said.

Because Thomas is from Mississippi, there were many parts of her speech that Mississippians could relate to.

“I thought there were many parts of her speech that many Mississippians could connect with more than people from other parts of the nation, so because of this and her other relatable references, it really made me want to read her book,” Sophomore John Mychal Warren said.

Angie Thomas’ visit to the school was very informative of her current book, and also promoted her upcoming book On the Come Up.