The Race for NFL MVP

Nolan Turner, Sports Staff Writer

As the NFL season is coming to a close with the final five weeks remaining in the regular season, the race for MVP is starting to take form. This year’s race is an interesting one, as the two prime candidates for the most valuable player award are between one of the greats, quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots, and a second-year player from North Dakota State, Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback. These two currently lead the pack for the MVP trophy while Russell Wilson and Drew Brees struggle to maintain relevant in the conversation.

As for Brady, if he can bring another MVP award back to Foxborough, MA this would be the third of his career and only help his case for being the greatest NFL quarterback of all time. Brady currently leads the league in passing yards and also ranks second in touchdown passes with 26 to only four interceptions.

“Brady is a no-brainer for MVP this year,” senior Cam Daniels said. “He is tearing through any defense at will and is playing like he is in his prime.”

Brady is one of the oldest players in the league as he entered this season at 40 years old but has played the first 12 games of this season like he is 30 years old while leading the Patriots to another great season as they own the best record in the NFL at 10-2.

The underdog in this race is the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, Carson Wentz who is in his second season in the league. Carson Wentz was drafted second overall by the Eagles and after a losing season last year, many critics began to ask the question of whether or not Wentz was a bust. Carson quickly quieted the haters as he has the Eagles sitting atop the NFC and already clinched a division title as the Eagles head into week 14 with an 11-2 record.

“Wentz is the most improved player in the league, and also the most valuable player in the league,” Junior Guy Easterling said. “He has mobility in the pocket and is always looking downfield for the big play.”

Wentz is having a much more efficient season than his rookie year as he has a league-best 29 touchdown passes to just six interceptions while completing passes at a 60% clip. While Brady may be the clear favorite, Wentz still has a few games left in the season to show that he is worthy of the MVP trophy.

While games get more competitive as district play starts, these next few games will be critical in determining the Most Valuable Player in the 2017-18 NFL season and the question remains: will it be the veteran or the rookie who comes out on top this year?