SA v. Crystal Springs

Price Bryan, Sports Editor

The SA football team defeated the Crystal Springs Tigers 43-14 in a monsoon to advance to the first round of the 3A class playoffs for the 2nd time in three years.

“Offensively, we were able to throw the ball exceptionally well against the Crystal Springs secondary,” Junior Safety Charlie Sewell said. “Dickson Ray did a great job on offense, making a lot of good plays. On defense, we were able to almost completely shut down their passing game and they had a pretty good running game that we were able to handle pretty easily.”

The Saints racked up 435 yards of offense with 341 coming through the air, which is impressive given the conditions. The game was played in poor conditions as the temperature dropped to below fifty and it rained on and off for the majority of the game. These conditions can make it difficult to throw and catch the ball especially when it is cold.

“The game had a slow start while both teams adjusted to the conditions; however, I felt like the rain made the game much more exciting both to watch and play” Junior Cornerback Jacob Bryan said.

The win Friday night meant that the SA football team would be advancing to the playoffs in the first round under new head coach Johnny Nichols. After the game was over, the fans stormed the field, as it was only the second time the Saints have made the playoffs since moving to class 3A.

“It honestly means the world to the team and I,” Junior Lineman Patrick Turner said. “For us to be able to play more games with this group of seniors is amazing, but we’re not done because we still have more work to do.

However, the SA football team has a challenging game in Jefferson Davis County High School this Friday. Jefferson Davis County currently sits at 9-1 with their only loss coming to East Central.

“They are the best team we have played and some consider them to be the best in all of 3A football,” Sewell said. “They are much bigger than we are, but they run a very simple wing-T offense, similar to what McLaurin ran. Unlike McLaurin, this team is big, fast, and physical.”