The Freshmen’s “Starting Something New”

Xenia Minton, Staff Writer

High school at the Upper School is nothing like High School Musical. No one sings and dances at lunch tables, and there is no time to belt out ballads in the locker room. Instead, everyone is rushing to get to class on time and trying not to fail Mrs. Joseph’s class.

This new transition from eighth to ninth grade has been challenging and rewarding to new Upper Schoolers. No uniforms, more freedom, and a lot of homework are just a few of the new elements that are packaged in the transition from the Middle School to the Upper School.

“I think that the biggest struggle has been trying to keep up with everything,” Freshman Sabrina Borg said. “There is a lot more score this year, and teachers expect you to communicate with them more often.”

With the increase in homework, there is also an increase in independence. Teachers rely on their students to email and talk with them outside of class for questions or extra help. Students have to keep up with upcoming projects and tests without teachers constantly mentioning deadlines, and they have to stay on top of their grades by themselves.

“There is so much more that happens outside of class now, and we have to stay on top of everything,” Freshman Savannah Grace Gober said.

“I get more on my plate every night, and it’s just a lot more than middle school had,” Freshman Emily Herrington said.

Just like the outside world, work and play is involved in the daily life of a high schooler. Students feel like their social and school life has to be balanced without over tipping the scale. Getting asked to homecoming, watching football games in the student section, and attending more student parties are just a few of the new social elements of high school. With all of these new elements, students still have to manage their time and energy wisely.

Many students also feel that high school is also the benchmark for a student’s future in colleges and adult careers. With this new outlook, high schoolers are given more practice in surviving the real world with their newfound independence.

“Because we’re teenagers, we can’t be locked up, and they trust us because we’re getting older and this has to come with a level of maturity,” Herrington said. “I think this will definitely prepare us for college.”

“Freedom is needed because you have to practice it at some point,” Upper School Counselor Lauren Powell said. “A little bit at a time, you learn how to manage your stuff.”

Even though incoming freshmen are given all of these new expectations, teachers are not just going to let the new high schoolers be fed to wolves. They are still going to help ease the big transition. Powell and learning facilitator Hollie Marjanovic host freshmen seminars that help create teacher recognition and keep students up to date on upcoming events, along with hosting the Back to School Bash and Freshmen Retreat to help freshmen meet upperclassmen.

“I’m hearing that one of the hardest transitions is the amount of homework,” Powell said. “I think they love the schedule, being free, and having more study halls. I think you come back from eighth grade pretty smart and pretty able, and it’s time to let you be more autonomous.”

With all of the new changes in high school, this new shift can be scary. As long as everyone sticks together and supports one another, the incoming high schoolers can make this a smooth transition. Freshmen, “we’re all in this together.”