The Stress of Being a Student Athlete

Audrey Koltz, Staff Writer

Imagine having a test, quizzes, presentations, and other school work in one week. Seems hectic, right? Now, add on sports practices, workouts, and games that wipe out F3 study hall and a few hours after school. Yikes…

On a given day at St. Andrew’s, student athletes could have to worry about a history test, math quiz, an upcoming English paper, and workouts then practice for their sport. This situation may surprise some, but to 80 percent of SA students, this occurrence could be just another factor of a slightly stressful day at school.

Ellie Peterson, a freshman who participates in varsity dance team and the tennis team at St. Andrew’s, is familiar with the schedule of a student athlete. A common struggle between student athletes is balancing academics and sports.

“Since we have a lot of homework, and we have our long practices after school, it can be hard to get the homework done on time,” Peterson said.

With sports on top of their academics, it can be draining to students. Having enough time to play sports, do school work, be social, and rest can be difficult. A student athlete might have to be thinking about a history quiz, a math test tomorrow, an essay due Thursday, and games and practices on top of that. With most high school students not reaching the recommended eight hours of sleep already, all this added stress contributes to their lack of sleep. This stress can lead to student athletes not only being mentally and physically exhausted, but sleep deprived as well.

Teachers like Kristan LaFon, the 9th grade Biology teacher, also have a say in this issue.

“I definitely take it into consideration, but I don’t think that a student being involved in sports should have less expectations than students who are not in sports,” LaFon said.

This statement implies that teachers do understand the work load on students and try not to give students a large work load. If student athletes communicate with their teachers that they cannot complete work because of a late game or such, the chance of them receiving an extension is higher than a student with no sports. However, being on a sports team does not exempt students from doing work. St. Andrew’s prides itself on students being well balanced being well balanced; adding sports to the academics students put themselves through gives them a more well-rounded balance.

Sometimes when the schedule of a student athlete is too much to handle, Hollie Marjanovic, the high school learning facilitator, helps with time management.

“The goal of a St. Andrew’s student is to be a well-rounded student,” Marjanovic said. “We don’t want them to be solely academic; we want them to be rounded in other areas. It’s a good life lesson to learn time management.”

According to Marjanovic, student athletes are very similar to students not playing sports in terms of getting work done. Having a busy schedule can help student athletes later in life because they are forced to learn time management now to manage all of their activities. While non- student athletes may not play a sport, they might be involved in different clubs that are time consuming or have a job. However, if a student had to choose to put more effort into academics or athletics, they should definitely invest their time in academics to assure a good future. Nevertheless, the stress of being a student athlete doesn’t stop true athletes from playing the sports they love.