Puppies, and Cats, and Squirrels, Oh My!

Miley Ray, staff writer

On October 5, during block F3, St. Andrew’s had its first St. Francis day chapel where students were allowed to bring their pets. This chapel service was held outside in freshman field and other than the heat, was quite successful. Students from freshmen to senior classes participated bringing their pets. Senior Avery Barham brought her dachshund puppy Jerry and attracted crowds with his cuteness. But puppies weren’t the only pets there, for example, Sarah Gerrets brought her pet squirrel, and Ally and Bella Brumfield brought their cat named George. George had to be kept in a crate for his blessing, so Father Kirk blessed him through it. Most St. Andrew’s students enjoyed the service more than the average service. Sophomore Jordan Simmons explained that he liked the service because it was brief and outside.

“It was awful for me because I kept sneezing from all the dogs and cats around,” said Hamme.

Father Kirk said, “I chose to have this blessing of pets outside because in most church settings they brought their pets, and he enjoyed doing it at his last school. It is also symbolic of St. Francis and his enjoyment of pets.”

Overall, the students had a positive response to this chapel because of the laid back setting that the outdoor setting and the sweet pets everywhere provided. This chapel finished off the first quarter chapel services and acted as a follow up to the senior led chapel which also was more laid back than the average chapel service with musical performances from the seniors. The chapel wasn’t great for sophomore Auburn Hamme because of her pet allergies.