The First of Many Senior Nights

Parker Grogan, Overall Editor

“It’s sad to see the first senior night,” Senior Ally Brumfield said. “It makes me realize that it truly is the beginning of the end.”

On Oct. 10 the first senior night for the 2018 class of St. Andrew’s Episcopal School occurred, leaving the seniors with tears and smiles. Volleyball Seniors Emily Kruse, Hana Ando, Lauren Watson, Destini Jimmerson, and Sharon Xu were honored last night in the Senior Night festivities. Their teammates prepared a celebratory display including balloons, signs, tiaras, and pink boas.

“Our teammates decorated the locker room and made us signs that they all signed with nice notes,” Kruse said. “It was really sweet. I remember when I crowned the seniors last year, and I never thought it would be me being crowned. It was just a really special and fun experience, but the season’s not over yet!”

The St. Andrew’s Saints, although sad to celebrate the transition of their seniors from high school volleyball to new college experiences, did celebrate a sweeping victory against the McLaurin Tigers.

“We played really well,” Ando said. “We have a young team, but yesterday the coach chose to play seniors a lot more than usual, which was really fun. All the seniors have never played all together at the same time, but we did last night. I think we did well together, but our positions were changed so it was a little awkward.”

Overall the seniors enjoyed the night, making it one of celebration rather than one of sadness.

“It was more fun than sad,” Ando said.

After Senior Night, the volleyball team moves on to play Northwest Rankin High School on Thursday and Clinton High School next Tuesday. Both games will be held at the opposing teams’ locations. Then  playoffs will start, and the St. Andrew’s Saints will be hosting the first round in the new Athletic Recreation Center, or ARC.