Saints to perform “The Curious Savage”

Olivia Campbell, Student Life editor

This October, the Saints will take to the stage for a performance of the famous The Curious Savage, a comedic play written by John Patrick. Ray McFarland, Director of the center for Performing Arts will bring the play to life.
“This is a wonderful, warm comedy about eccentric people…people just a bit “out of the norm”…we all know them and love them,” McFarland said.
Eleven Upper School students will take part in the performances, which will be held on November 9., 10., 11.
“I’m excited to be in the play because my cast mates and I get to spend the next few weeks putting together a project that hopefully the student body will love,” Senior Darby Farr said.
Darby is playing Mrs. Savage, a main character that the play is named after.
“I must say, it will be quite difficult to play this role considering she [Mrs. Savage] is an elderly woman with blue hair,” Farr said.
Not just Darby, but all of the students that have been cast are looking forward to the production.
“I love the atmosphere of working on a play,” Junior Stephen Cook said. “The interactions between director and cast are personal and we are also able to go deep into the characters. Having this tight-knit community to work with is a huge pleasure, and so far I really like the cast we have.”
McFarland believes the performance will bring more than simply an evening of laughter to it’s audience.
“I think theatre should always teach the audience something,” McFarland said.
“And this play reminds us that just because someone is “different” does not make them “crazy”…it just makes them special and our lives more special because we know them.”

Be sure to come out to the CPA November 9., 10., 11. to see your Saints perform!