Saints come up short in round 3 of Playoffs

Nolan Turner, Staff Wriuter

The St. Andrew’s Saints varsity baseball team lost 5-3 to Seminary at home in game 2 of the third round of playoffs on May 5, 2017. Seminary recently won the fourth round of the playoffs and will be competing against Mooreville in the state championship this week.

The Saints baseball team had a very impressive season finishing with an overall record of 27-6 and 9-1 in district play losing only to Magee on the road and claiming the one seed of the division.

“We had a really good season with an impressive run after the spring break trip going 15-1 until the playoffs began,” Junior Evan Bowman said.

The first game of the third round of playoffs was one to remember despite the loss at Seminary. The saints would get off to an early 7-1 in the second inning after Chris Boyle hit a grand slam to put the Saints up 6. As the third inning rolled around, Seminary would place sophomore Logan Kelly into the game who would shut down the Saints for the rest of the game allowing only one run over six innings. Seminary would come back to win 9-8 in 8 innings.

The second game was none better for the Saints as they went down early to a 1-0 deficit and would end up losing 5-3, thus ending their season.

Despite being swept by potential 3A state champions Seminary, Saints fans and players still had a season to be proud of and look to perform even better next year, only losing two players from this years roster.