Lacrosse Begins Season with Round Robin at Millsaps

Nolan Turner, Staff Writer

On Saturday Feb. 11, the St. Andrew’s Lacrosse team played their first three games of the season at a round robin tournament hosted by Millsaps College.

The SA lacrosse team would lose their first two games of the season to ECS High School from Memphis, 7-5, and Captain Shreve from Shreveport, 8-0. The Saints would end their 2 game skid in the third game though, beating Byrd High School which is also located in Shreveport by a score of 5-4.

Sophomore midfielder Jacob Bryson and Senior midfielder Andrew Speetjens both finished the day with 3 goals each while Junior attack Warner Speed, Sophomore attack Patrick Marcus, and Junior midfielder William Morse all had one goal of their own.

The Lacrosse team was without two starting defenders Alex Forbes and Brooks Lacoste as well as midfielder Kennedy Owens during the first game as they were taking the ACT.

“Missing two out of three starting defensive players really made it difficult for us to get a win against ECS,” Junior midfielder Wade Montjoy said. “Without Alex and Brooks we were forced to move David Caddle, one of our midfielders to defense which then hurt the depth of our midfield.”

Come the second game of the day, the Saints came out flat and were quickly playing catch-up after allowing four goals in the first quarter.

“Coming into our game against Captain Shreve, we had a long break in between our first and second games which caused us to come out flat and unfocused,” said Junior midfielder John Spencer Jones. “After we fell down early in the first quarter, I think our team just quit and got lazy.”

SA Lacrosse was never able to get out of their first quarter hole and would go on to lose their second game 8-0.

In the third game, lax would break through to find their first game of the season against Byrd High School. With Alex Forbes back in the lineup, the Saints were able to play a solid game defensively and thanks to Sophomore midfielder Jacob Bryson’s two goals in the second half, the SA Lacrosse team would come out victorious with a final score of 5-4.

The St. Andrew’s Lacrosse has 9 more games scheduled for the season with their next game being Friday at home against St. Benedict’s High School at 7 p.m central standard time.